Track LaborerSonoma Marin Area Rail Transit
- $28.14 per hour
The Track Laborer position will be responsible for assisting with the inspection, maintenance and repair of SMART’s tracks and right of way. This position may operate equipment including on-track equipment and vehicles necessary for track maintenance, repair and other rail support activities.Incumbents in this class normally work in a small crew setting and on off-hours shifts to perform varied physical work in the preventitive maintenance and repair of SMART’s tracks, right of way and related equipment.
Duties and Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
Class specifications are intended to present a descriptive list of the range of duties performed by, and minimum requirements required of, employees in the class. Specifications are not intended to reflect all duties performed within the job. SMART reserves the right to determine and amend job responsibilities.
- Observes conditions of the tracks, track beds, and track right-of-way for problems or defects.
- Inspects station platforms, bike path, fencing and ROW signage.
- Assists with routine, preventitive and emergency track maintenance including tamping, rail replacement, and rail alignment.
- Assists in removal and replacement of rails, rail anchors, spikes, ballst, ties and other parts as needed.
- Inspect, load, unload and move track materials and equipment from rail cars, carts or trucks.
- Dig holes and trenches.
- Cleans and clears debris, weeds, shrubbery, dead animals and other trash and obstructions from track and associated wayside.
- Acts as flag person.
- Works closely with Dispatch and follows instructions while working on or near the right-of-way.
- Assists other workers and departments in routine and emergency situations affecting the safe movement of trains.
- Enters data into SMART’s Maintenance Management Information System (MMIS).
- Adheres to SMART, Federal Railroad Administration, CPUC standards and regulations.
- Gathers materials from storage areas and loads/unloads tools and equipment from trucks or other vehicles.
- Maintains work area in a clean and orderly fashion.
- Reports unusual incidences and the need for additional maintenance or repair to supervisor.
- Safely operates equipment and follows Roadway Protection Rules.
- Work outdoors in varying weather conditions.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Must possess a high school diploma, GED or recognized equivalent.
- Experience in construction or landscaping preferred.
- Successful completion of SMART Training program and post-training qualification period.
- Possession of a valid California’s drivers’ license (or ability to obtain one within 60 days of employment).
- Satisfactory driving record as defined below:
- No more than two moving violations and/or “at fault” accidents within the last 3 years;
- No “at fault” in a fatal accident within the past 5 years;
- No leaving the scene of an accident within the past 3 years;
- No DUI’s or Reckless Driving codes within the last 7 years on the current DMV printout.
- Must be able to successfully pass a pre-employment medical exam that uses the standards of the California Commercial Driver’s License.
- Interpreting and applying oral and written instructions in a consistent manner;
- Working cooperatively with others in a crew;
- Basic computer usage;
- Utilizing a maintenance management system;
- Using hand tools and power equipment to perform general track and right of way maintenance and repair work;
- Construction, landscaping or related work.
- General construction principles;
- Safe working practices, including techniques for safely lifting and moving heavy objects;
- Proper use and care of hand and power tools and equipment;
- OSHA and DOT Safety regulations desirable;
- General first aid and shop safety practices.
We are an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, gender, age, veteran status, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status or disability (in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act) with respect to employment opportunities.