Registered Dental Assistant
Under the supervision of the Dental Director, Dentist, or Lead RDA the Registered Dental Assistant is responsible for assisting the dentist(s) and dental hygienist(s) in the direct provision of primary care dental services to patients of the center. Serves as dentist’s or dental hygienist’s chair-side assistant, prepares operatory for patient treatment, exposes and develops dental radiographs, assures that all patient records and documents are properly and accurately documented in the dental record, and participates in appropriate health promotion/disease prevention activities, both on-site and off-site as required. The Registered Dental Assistant is also responsible for sterilization, preparation, inventory, and infection control of dental instruments and supplies.
- Serves as the dental provider’s chair-side assistant.
- Prepares operatory for patient treatment as per Dental Department protocols and the dental providers directions.
- Exposes and develops dental radiographs in accordance with state regulations and law as well as Dental Department directive and protocol.
- Performs independent procedures as delegated and directed by the dentist in accordance with current certification, state regulation, law and Dental Department directive and protocol.
- Maintains Dental Department equipment and areas in accordance with manufacturer’s directions and Dental Department policy and protocol.
- Maintains adequate operatory supplies and compiles a list of individual item shortages for inventory control and ordering purposes.
- Assists all dental providers in assuring that all patient records and documents are properly and accurately completed and filed.
- Assists with various clinical and administrative functions as appropriate.
- Ensures the proper disposal of all materials in accordance with Dental Department directive, center policy as well as state and federal regulation(s).
- Performs all functions in full compliance with the center’s and the Dental Department Exposure Control Plan including but not limited to the use of Personal Protective Equipment and Universal Precautions.
- Participates in patient CAMBRA and Oral Hygiene education sessions.
- Participates in ongoing training.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Current California state Registered Dental Assistant Certification.
- Completion of accredited course in dental assisting and minimum one year experience as a Dental Assistant preferred.
- Current Coronal polish and Sealant certificates preferred.
- Bilingual English and Spanish preferred.
- High School Diploma or GED.
- California Radiation Safety Certificate.
- BLS (CPR) Certification required.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE:
- Requires a comprehensive knowledge of primary dental care in outpatient settings.
- Computer literacy required; familiarity with the use of clinical software such as Dentrix and Microsoft Windows.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Ability to follow directions and communicate effectively in both English and Spanish preferred.
- Sensitivity to the needs and situations of a multi-cultural, low-income population and a desire to work with this population.
- Excellent communication and people skills.
- Use standard office equipment and access, input, and retrieve information from a computer. Use computer keyboard with manual and finger dexterity and wrist-finger speed sufficient to perform repetitive actions efficiently for extended periods of time.
- Communicate effectively in person or via telephone in a manner which can be understood by those with whom the person is speaking, including a diverse population.
- Give and follow verbal and written instructions with attention to detail and accuracy.
- Perform complex mental functions and basic arithmetic functions; interpret complex laws, regulations, and policies; collect, interpret, and/or analyze complex data and information.
- Vision: see details of objects at close range.
- Coordinate multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Reach forward, up, down, and to the side.
- Sit or stand for minimum periods of one hour at a time and come and go from the work area repeatedly throughout the day.
- Lift up to twenty (20) pounds.