Voted “One of the North Bay’s Best Places to Work”, Peterson Mechanical is a Sonoma-based mechanical contractor providing a single source for reliable mechanical systems in San Francisco and the North Bay Counties, specializing in HVAC, plumbing and refrigeration for a wide variety of market sectors including Healthcare, Technology, Education, Office Space, Hospitality, Winery, High Rise and Low Rise Residential. Peterson Mechanical provides pre-construction, pre-fabrication, custom fabrication, design/build and plan/spec. solutions. We are currently seeking a Controller to join our team.
The Controller manages the overall financial activities of the Company including banking, regulatory compliance, finance, accounting and third-party required reporting. The Controller also oversees the company’s financial information software, Vista/Viewpoint. The Controller manages financial risk, implements approved cost-saving measures and assists in the Company’s overall financial health and profitability.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Administrates Vista/Viewpoint – the company’s accounting enterprise software system
• Monitors successful completion by staff of daily cash and deposits, weekly payroll, payables and receivables tasks
• Performs monthly, quarterly and annual closing activities.
• Provides complete working papers for outside accountants; participates in annual review
• Provides financial reports to the Board and senior management monthly.
• Produces work-in-progress reports and overhead assessment reports monthly
• Attend weekly work-in-progress meetings with Project Managers
• Monitors staff’s successful contract administration, billings and client relations related to such.
• Assures PMI compliance with local regulatory and tax requirements and reporting, including GAAP
• Assures proper recordkeeping procedures, including retention and destruction per company policy
• Provides banking and bonding reporting requirements
• Develops, proposes and implements financial forecasting and planning tools as needed to support senior management strategic planning efforts.
• Coordinates and reports out the budgeting process for overhead and indirect costs for senior management review and approval.
• Monitors internal controls and assures tracking and protection of company assets.
• Analyzes and reports financial data for financial and operational performance, including Company performance against key performance indicators at least quarterly.
• Coordinate with senior management to reduce risks related to insurance claims and coverage.
• Coordinate with senior management on outstanding litigation
• Assures financial operations support Company credit and bonding worthiness
• Partners with senior management to identify and implement cost-saving measures, succession planning and support services as needed.
• Identifies competitive rates and fees by researching competition for needed services
• Coordinates payments for company 401K and Profit Sharing Plan; works with HR in plan administration as needed
• Mentors and trains direct reports and oversees mentoring and training of other accounting team members.
• Bachelor’s degree in Finance or Accounting, or related discipline
• Minimum 5 years’ experience in supervision
• Highly motivated team player, staff cheerleader, willing to support team members whenever needed
• Effective time management, sense of urgency and attention to details; committed to meeting deadlines and willingness to participate in strategic planning and implementation.
• Ability to work flexible hours
• Working knowledge of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
Preferred Job Qualifications
• Construction Industry experience; experience in a union environment
• Experience with Vista by Viewpoint
Prolonged standing/sitting; occasional walking. Manual dexterity required for computer work. Occasional lifting of up to 25 lbs. Office work environment. Moderate noise level. Reasonable accommodations will be made available.