Deputy Sheriff Coroner II-BailiffCounty Of Mendocino
Ukiah, CA Full-time
Posted on March 29, 2019
Deputy Sheriff - Coroner II - Bailiff Extra-help
Primary responsibility is patrolling an assigned area for the prevention of crime and the enforcement of laws and regulations; writing various reports; responding to calls for service; performing specialized technical, administrative and/or investigative assignments; and maintaining order and security in and about the various courts of the County.
Job Requirements and Minimum Qualifications
All responsibilities may not be performed by all incumbents:
- Patrols an assigned area; enforces laws and regulations; maintains laws and order within the jurisdiction.
- Responds to radio messages, telephone instructions and/or citizens? requests to appear at scenes of disorder or crime.
- Conducts preliminary or follow-up investigations of various, major crimes, including rape, robbery, homicide, narcotics distribution or other incidents; collects and preserves evidence associated with crimes; interviews victims, witnesses, suspects, etc.; arrests suspects; photographs crime scenes; prepares reports
- Maintains proper courtroom demeanor; enforces rules and regulations pertaining to the use of photography or recording equipment; assists in the control and movement of evidence and exhibits; takes charge of the jury during recesses and deliberations.
- Prepares and serves warrants, subpoenas, judicial processes and/or summonses as required.
- Collects statements from witnesses and physicians for the purpose of identification and certification of death; investigates human deaths; identifies and notifies next of kin and/or the appropriate County representative of deaths.
- Testifies in court in connection with criminal prosecutions.
- Directs traffic, including regulation of vehicle flow, at times of emergency or congestion.
- Stops drivers who are operating vehicles in violation of laws; issues citations when necessary.
- Performs search and rescue duties.
- Composes and types reports of arrests made, investigations conducted and unusual incidents observed in accordance with professional standards, applicable State laws and department protocol.
- Arrests and/or transports suspects or prisoners to jail, court or other locations.
- Performs specialized duties such as serving as Personnel Officer, Field Training Officer, Range Master, K-9 handler; or as a member of Special Emergency Response Team, hostage negotiations team; or others as assigned.
- Assists other agencies on special assignments.
- Assists in solving problems as they occur in the field.
- Assists with crowd control, parade and riot work.
- Assists with problems of juvenile delinquency.
- Assists in public education programs.
- Performs security and/or custodial duties in the County correctional facility as assigned.
- Enforces Fish and Game laws, policies and regulations.
- Assists the general public with crime prevention measures whenever possible.
- Attends departmental, training or other meetings.
- Performs higher level duties in a training capacity.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.