Assistant Clerk-Recorder/RegistrarCounty Of Mendocino
Ukiah, CA Full-time
Posted on December 1, 2018
Job Requirements and Minimum Qualifications
Duties may include but are not limited to the following
- Assist in managing the County Clerk, Recorder, Micrographics, and Elections divisions of the department which are responsible for performing various functions, including: registering voters; issuing marriage licenses; filing various notices; and recording, indexing, and maintaining legal documents.
- Oversee all functions related to the election process, including: preparing nomination and filing calendars; receiving petitions, nomination papers, fees, and other items associated with candidates' filing; preparing legal publications and news releases; assembling candidate packets; preparing ballot for vendor, proofing material, and notifying vendor of changes; receiving and verifying petitions; testing the ballot counting system and preparing certification; coordinating packing of supplies for pick-up; assisting in training of election officers; processing voted ballots; certifying results; and packing, storing, and/or destroying election materials.
- Assist with the planning and implementation of short and long-term goals, objectives, and strategies for the office and the assigned divisions to ensure efficient organization and completion of work.
- Carry out supervisory duties in accordance with policies, procedures, and applicable laws, including: interviewing, hiring, training and mentoring; planning, prioritizing, and directing work; monitoring productivity and work flow; and resolving problems to ensure deadlines are met.
- Appraising performance; and addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Communicate, monitor, and assist in the development of policies, procedures, and standards for the assigned divisions; recommend and implement improvements when necessary.
- Monitor, supervise, and coordinate the work of staff within the assigned unit as directed.
- Provide technical expertise and general guidance to staff.
- Respond to inquiries from the media.
- Interact with a variety of individuals, both internally and within the community, to provide information, disseminate departmental information, and assist in resolving administrative issues.
- Assist in managing all financial operations of assigned divisions. Receive, review, and process all financial records and transactions, ensuring accuracy and adherence to policy.
- Issue Oath of Office to county candidates.
- Oversee the maintenance of office inventory, election supplies, etc., requisitioning supplies as needed.
- Coordinate technological projects or needs of assigned divisions, including making arrangements for systems or software installation or upgrades, and/or performing or scheduling related training for staff members.
- Monitor current, newly adopted, and proposed legislation that affects the work, and educate staff on same.
- Receive, sort, and summarize statistics and materials in order to prepare complex, routine, and non-routine reports as requested, utilizing a variety of software.
- Research codes, regulations, and laws that may affect the department.
- Format and generate letters, memos, labels, reports, or other correspondence on a word processor or typewriter, and proof correspondence and related documents of staff.
- Maintain and upgrade professional knowledge, skills, and development by attending seminars and training programs, and reading trade and professional journals and publications.
- Collaborate, persuade, and negotiate with others outside own work area to coordinate efforts and maintain cooperative and efficient relations.
- Ensure quality standards and compliance with regulations are maintained.
- Enter and retrieve a variety of complex information from a computer terminal.
- Disseminate a variety of information and/or reports to various agencies, divisions, or departments via telephone, mail, email, or fax.
- Conducts regular staff meetings to review progress, accomplishments, budgets, strategies, and plans for the department.
- May serve as backup for other positions within the department.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Equal Opportunity Employer