Assistant Agricultural Commissioner/Sealer of Weights and MeasuresCounty Of Mendocino
Assistant Agricultural Commissioner/Sealer of Weights & Measures
The current vacancy is in Ukiah. At-Will position; exempt from Civil Service. Positions in this classification may perform duties associated with the Mendocino Medical Cannabis Cultivation Compliance program.
Under general administrative direction, plans and supervises the day-to-day operations and staff involved in weights and measures and agriculture programs.
Job Requirements and Minimum Qualifications
All responsibilities may not be performed by all incumbents.
- Carries out supervisory responsibility in accordance with policies, procedures and applicable laws including: interviewing, hiring and training, planning, assigning and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Plans and supervises agriculture and weights and measures programs.
- Ensures pesticide use enforcement; inspects fields and applies applicable laws and regulations; takes appropriate enforcement measures as needed.
- Ensures compliance with weights and measures laws and regulations.
- Assists the general public with pest control problems; identifies pest, recommends effective control methods.
- Acts as superior, in his/her absence, for temporary period of time.
- Issues pesticide spray permits and operator identification numbers.
- Prepares annual crop report; surveys agriculture producers and compiles statistical information.
- Represents the department at a variety of county and state meetings.
- Assists in formulating the departmental budget; tracks expenditures during the year.
- Inspects incoming plant shipments from out-of-state at terminals.
- Inspects weighing and measuring devices for accuracy and state registration and appropriate uses.
- Trains growers and licensees in pesticide use laws and regulations.
- Advises growers regarding the Organic Act laws and regulations.
- Issues phytosanitary certificates.
- Deals with complaints from the public concerning agriculture and weights and measures.
- Supervises the wine grape testing program.
- Assists with the annual financial report.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Equal Opportunity Employer