Direct Support Professional I - Flexible Full Time and Part Time Positions!
This position works alongside individuals who choose to or are working towards living independently. It includes assisting individuals with personal care needs as well as achieving their personal goals through learning skills and participating in activities of their choice.
CRITICAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Possesses the professional skills and abilities speciﬁc to the technical aspects of the position.
- Participate alongside individuals oﬀering assistance and support in a variety of personal care needs, including those related to health and hygiene, maintenance of household, healthy eating, health-related appointments and instructions, including medication, ﬁnancial systems, and shopping.
- Understand and use the Emergency Response System appropriately.
IMPLEMENT SERVICE PLANS
- Promote BI’s philosophy of competency, self-advocacy, and independence
- Understanding and adherence to any individualized service plans, including medical or behavioral
- Participate in meetings with the interdisciplinary team/circle of support as requested.
KEEP RECORDS AND WRITE REPORTS
- Ensure correct data entry and accuracy of all time and attendance and work records
- Submit accurate reports as required by supervisor.
TRANSPORTATION OF PERSONS SERVED
- Transport individuals as needed which may include assistance with public and/or para transportation services.
- Ensure inspection and cleanliness of the vehicle before/after each use.
DEVELOP AND MAINTAIN EFFECTIVE RELATIONSHIPS
- Assist individuals in establishing and maintaining social connections with persons of their choosing, with a focus on reducing relationships with paid supports.
- Support and participate alongside individuals in community events and activities.
- Develop and maintain eﬀective relationships with persons served (to include their family and friends), peers, supervisors and other staﬀ, aﬃliated agency staﬀ, and members of the community.
- Provide support as a Direct Support Professional working in any BI program including but not limited to, providing in-home care, transportation, and
in-community services for persons served.
- Executes position speciﬁc job duties and other duties as assigned at the discretion of BI.
CANDIDATE SHOULD POSSESS THE FOLLOWING SKILLS Organized: Able to perform job duties with eﬃciency and accuracy
Dependable: Can be relied upon; trustworthy, responsible, punctual.
Good Judgement: Chooses courses of action that result in beneﬁcial outcomes to the agency and the community
Positive Attitude: Has an overall positive, open, and supportive attitude
Interpersonal Relations: Is able to relate well to others
Communication: Is an eﬀective listener, communicates well both verbally and in writing
Initiative: Is a self-starter
Philosophical Commitment: Demonstrates commitment to BI’s established culture of dignity and respect.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
EDUCATION: High School diploma or GED preferred.
EXPERIENCE: Previous experience working with individuals with intellectual/developmental disabilities is desirable. Good customer service skills and an interest in helping others pursue and achieve their best life is required.
Proof of COVID-19 vaccination and booster or valid medical or religious exemption is required as a condition for employment. Individuals who are in the vaccination process ie; are only partially vaccinated/have only received the ﬁrst dose in a two-dose series or are awaiting the 14-day post-vaccine waiting period for full vaccination status, must undergo weekly COVID-19 testing until considered fully vaccinated. Individuals with a valid medical or religious exemption must also undergo a weekly COVID-19 testing.
- A physical condition that permits frequent bending, turning, and lifting without injury
- Ability to walk and stand for prolonged periods of time
- Ability to assist individuals in wheelchairs
- Provide personal care as needed including assistance in the restroom and feeding.
- Lift at least 40 pounds
- Clearance of pre-employment Functional Capacity Evaluation with no restrictions that cannot be reasonably accommodated without undue hardship
MAY REQUIRE ONE OR ALL :
- Valid California driver’s license
- Insured, dependable vehicle
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccination or valid medical or religious exemption
- First Aid and CPR certiﬁcation
- Criminal Record Clearance